[Factc] Legislative Update

Taylor, Terry ttaylor at shoreline.edu
Wed Jul 8 15:18:24 PDT 2020

Hi FACTC,

This morning I attended the Long-Term Advocacy Task Force meeting via Zoom.

A few takeaways for faculty. Please feel free to share with your campuses.

  *   Be on the lookout for legislative town halls or even campaign forums where you can ask legislators and candidates to support the community college system.
  *   Look at the voters guide to see the positions advocated by candidates: https://voter.votewa.gov/genericvoterguide.aspx?e=865&c=99#/
  *   It is currently doubtful (speculation) that there will be a special session of the legislature before the November election.  It is also possible that any special session or the regular session in January may be remote.  This will require creative thinking about how to get involved in the process and  how meet with legislators.
  *   Concerning the latest ICE ruling on international students; Harvard, MIT, and likely a number of state attorneys general will be seeking injunctive relief to stop implementation of the rule for Fall.
  *   Seek ways to help alumni advocate for the community colleges.  Seattle Central, with private grant money (talk to your foundations on your campuses) has set up a web site to encourage outside support:  https://sccadvocates.org/

As FACTC reps.  please share what you are hearing on the listserv so we can improve our collective understanding of the challenges we face as faculty throughout the state.

Perhaps we should also include advocacy planning in our Fall meeting.

Hope everyone is having a safe summer,

Terry

Terry L. Taylor
President of FACTC<http://factc.org/wp/>, 2019-

Assistant Dean, The Honors College
Professor of History, Political Science, and International Studies

Shoreline Community College

5343 FOSS
16101 Greenwood Ave. North

Shoreline, WA 98133 USA

ttaylor at shoreline.edu<mailto:ttaylor at shoreline.edu> |  206.546.4589

[cid:480f3c49-e3a4-489c-a9ba-6aca453b6cdb]