[Factc] A Bad News, Good News, and then Also Good News Situation . . .

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:30:28 PST 2019

Hey, friends,

Bad News: Our beloved Joyce Hammer, Director of Transfer, will be SORELY missed at SBCTC!
Good News: Congratulations to Joyce as she begins a new stage of her career as VPI at Centralia, working closely with the amazing Bob Morhbacher. Centralia, you are so lucky!
Also Good News! Someone gets to be my colleague at SBCTC AND serve our colleges and multiple stakeholders as the Director of Transfer! Obviously, I've listed those in order of priority.

Joyce was first my faculty colleague at GRC (back in my English faculty days), and then my dean. She's been my colleague at SBCTC almost the entire time I've been in my role as Program administrator for Faculty Development (I'm slightly more senior than Joyce in my SBCTC tenure as of 6 months). So as I send out the note below from HR with the job announcement, I want to honor and acknowledge the tremendous gifts and talents Joyce shares with me and our system.

After years of being tenured math faculty and deaning and State-Boarding (SBCTC-ing?), Joyce possess an incredible wealth of knowledge on an amazing range of areas: co-req programs, BAS degrees, the AA degree, faculty contracts, teaching and learning, professional development, the latest and most innovative of Math instruction, assessment, accreditation, WACs, the legislature, our intricate and ever-webbing council and commission structure . . . I mean, I could go on, but you get the idea.

If you have a thorny question about RCWs, Joyce knows the answer. By heart. More importantly, Joyce shares all her knowledge generously with others in ways that are always not only useful, but interesting. You never knew placement or K-12 alignment could be so fascinating  . . . until you've talked to Joyce Hammer.

But it's not just that Joyce knows "stuff" about our Washington State CTC system and our complex interactions with stakeholders. Joyce knows, and genuinely values, our people . I've always envied Joyce's singular talent of knowing pretty much everyone in the system not just by college and role, but also by who they are as real life human beings outside of work-the what and who they most value.

Sweet Joyce: I will miss you.
Everyone Else: Please consider applying and also . . . spread the word!

Peace,

Jen