[Factc] FW: Budget Advocacy

Smith, Gerard GSmith at clark.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:57:54 PST 2019

Hello FACTC,

Please send a request to your faculty to write to their legislators:

Hello colleagues,

The Faculty Association for Community and Technical hosted a legislative reception in Olympia on Feb. 7th  to urge them to fully fund the SBCTC budget request.  The legislators very much appreciated hearing faculty concerns, and hearing our stories of student success.  Thanks to all of you who provided stories about our students' achievements.   I would very much appreciate if each of you would join in that advocacy effort.

Please write your local representatives to urge them to fully fund the SBCTC budget request:

$68 million for faculty compensation: a 3% increase per year for the next four years;
$86 million for increased student support, to fund faculty time for curricular redesign and engage in development of career paths and program maps, and to fund the development of tools to evaluate these reforms;
$35 Million to increase the number of students in high demand fields including nursing, allied health, information technology, computer science and advanced manufacturing.

The SBCTC Long-Term Advocacy Task Force has determined that these four messaging points will be the most effective when writing to your legislators.  Pick one of these "talking points" to draft your message.

Students of all ages, races and backgrounds can find career pathways at
our local Community & Technical Colleges.

Community & Technical Colleges are affordable and accessible for students
and families in our community.

Community & Technical Colleges already help meet our state and local
workforce needs, and are well-positioned for growth.

State investments in Community & Technical Colleges pay off in big ways
for local residents, businesses/employers and communities.

How to find your legislators for District 49, 17 and 18:  https://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/

Thank you!