[Factc] Smarter Balanced Placement Agreement

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Tue Jun 19 23:59:14 PDT 2018

Friends and Colleagues:

Here is the final agreement language for the new Smarter Balanced Placement agreement.  After the Instruction Commission approved the language at their late spring quarter meeting, some of the technical has been clarified.

While a more formal version for a broader release is in the works, this version includes the final terms and language in the new agreement.

As you can see in the "specific terms" section, for the coming academic year we could see students using both the old and the new agreement:

1)    Graduating high school seniors who took the assessment as juniors in spring 2017 are eligible to place via the old agreement;

2)    High school sophomores who took the assessment in spring 2018 could theoretically use the new agreement to place in a dual-credit course as juniors in 2018-19-we're not likely to see many of those students (but it's possible).

We're still working with OSPI on the logistics of a system for accessing Smarter Balanced scores electronically; stay tuned for more details. In the meantime, it's up to colleges to determine the verification/evidence you need from students or schools to support the placement request.

Please share with campus colleagues you think need to receive this update.

Questions?
Contact Bill Moore at bmoore at sbctc.edu<mailto:bmoore at sbctc.edu>

[Compass]Jennifer Whetham
Program Administrator, Assessment, Teaching, and Learning
Faculty Development
jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-4354 * c: 206.310.1291