[Factc] FW: [EXTERNAL] Perhaps something for FACTC to mull over

Smith, Gerard GSmith at clark.edu
Tue Jan 31 08:43:20 PST 2017

Hey FACTC,

Phil sent this letter concerning recent events for our consideration, wondering if FACTC might write a similar one.  Please review the letter, and then we will have brief discussion and vote at our meeting.

Regardless, you might wish to use Phil’s letter as a template for your own letter to your President and Board.

Gerry

For anyone reading this who is or has been affiliated with an educational institution, here's a sample email or snail mail letter that you might look over and decide whether you'd like to send out something similar: 30 January 2017

Dr. Joyce Loveday, President, and
Mr. Bruce Lachney, Chair, Board of Trustees
Clover Park Technical College
4500 Steilacoom Blvd. SW
Lakewood, Washington 98499

Dear Dr. Loveday and Mr. Lachney:

Education at any level can fulfill its fundamental liberating function only if students feel safe and accepted as human beings, no matter what their background or membership in groups. Discrimination and exclusion have no place in a college. With these truths in mind, and knowing that students at Clover Park Technical College come from many, many countries and are members of families with numerous national origins, I urge you to proclaim publicly to the college community that you oppose any measures at the state or national level which would prevent willing individuals from sharing in the educational experience at CPTC on the basis of national origin.

In particular, I urge you to reassure all current and prospective students that they are welcome on your campus without regard to where they were born or what their religious affiliation may be. Because our new President's recent executive decree contradicts this welcoming attitude, you may wish to highlight that discrepancy, but I hope the most important element of your message should be a positive and affirming one.

Thank you for considering this request.

Sincerely,

Phillip N. Venditti, Ph.D.
Instructor, Communication Studies (retired)

​I love retirement, by the way, but I hadn't envisioned needing to go out in the streets to peacefully protest things, as I've now been doing. These are strange and threatening times, in my view.

Peace,

Phil​

--
[License]This material is licensed under a Creative Commons attribution license.<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/>