[DEOC] Concerns about WELS Overview

Consuelo Grier consuelo.grier at bellevuecollege.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:57:50 PST 2024

Rod,
This document has come to my attention. This was not broadly shared with the DEOC and came as a surprise. Not the good kind of surprise to be transparent.

I am concerned at many turns related to this:

  1.  "SBCTC recommends enrolling people who are changemakers, who have executive potential, and who are in authorized roles to solve challenges related to the SBCTC vision around racial equity."

            - Who gets to determine who has executive potential?
            - What do you mean by solving challenges around racial equity? It is concerning that we haven't seen this                           document if this is the goal, especially when we are the leaders of this work within our institutions.

  1.
The criteria are concerning on a number of fronts that should be discussed...
  2.  Finally, and most importantly, I feel like DEOC input in this document/program has been grotesquely misrepresented. While we provided initial reactions quite some time ago, we have not heard back from you around the incorporation of that feedback. We had numerous concerns the last time you came to the commission meeting. To see this represented as input from DEOC, feels like a false representation.

I bring my concerns to your attention and want to make sure the commission is not taken off guard to see this development. It's in extremely poor taste to list us as part of the input when we haven't even seen this document, and it further undermines our ability as a commission to be recognized as leaders in this space.

Consuelo A. Grier, Ed.D. (she/her)

Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Bellevue College

consuelo.grier at bellevuecollege.edu