[DEOC] Question

John Hudson jhudson at everettcc.edu
Mon Sep 25 13:18:45 PDT 2023

Greetings,

Everett Community College does indeed sponsor "Finals is a Drag." As I only
began my tenure at Everett Community College in April, this was my first
opportunity to attend the event. It was very well done and very well
received. I appreciated the efforts of all involved particularly as I
arrived this year from a state in the south which is trying to ban drag
shows at every opportunity. As my academic work and publications center
primarily on LGBTQIA+ issues in the classroom and representation in
textbooks--including anti-homophobic pedagogies--I am well acquainted with
the history of drag and varying points of view regarding its expression. It
is refreshing to be in a state where discussions around drag are civil and
respectful, in contrast to the visceral and hateful attacks on drag which
are becoming all to  common in other parts of the country, and particularly
in the south.

Cordially,

Dr. John Hudson