[DEOC] Question about Gender Markers in CTCLink

Sophia Agtarap sagtarap at sbctc.edu
Tue Nov 7 13:13:40 PST 2023

And one more follow up:

Hi Sophia,

I checked in with Carmen and Dani on this.

Carmen was able to add some additional clarity below:

There are two different data points in play here.

1.    Gender Identity (part of sexual orientation and gender identity)

a.    The data you provided below with the non-binary option is gender identity.

2.    Legal Sex

a.    Legal Sex allows for the third option of X.  The SOGI committee opted to use the description of “Not exclusively male or female” for Sex ‘X’ because it aligns with the state’s RCW.  A third sex option of ‘X’ is allowable on the WA birth certificate or driver’s license.

Does that help?  There’s always confusion between gender identity and legal sex.  I still get asked why we did not use the description of ‘non-binary’ for the legal sex ‘X’ variable, and the reason is that we wanted to distinguish this data from gender identify = non-binary and to align with the WA state RCW.

Regarding the question “Are colleges able to remove/add questions related to this?”  The answer is no, these are globally configured values.  Unless I’m misunderstanding the question…

Does that answer your questions?

Thanks,

Carmen

Thanks,

-Grant

[Compass]
  Sophia Kristina R. Agtarap (she/siya)

  Director, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

[https://res.cdn.office.net/assets/bookwithme/misc/CalendarPerson20px.png]<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/428a9a0a3cb14afe82036360d2d894a8@sbctc.edu?anonymous&ep=signature>                Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/428a9a0a3cb14afe82036360d2d894a8@sbctc.edu?anonymous&ep=signature>