[DEOC] faculty inquiry: HB2158 & SB5194 and racial diversity

Consuelo Grier consuelo.grier at bellevuecollege.edu
Wed Jul 19 13:41:06 PDT 2023

Melissa,

Some quick thoughts on this...

We have put a small portion of our funding to the side to do a course buy-out for one "Inclusive Faculty Hiring Coordinator" for a pilot year. This person will work directly with me and academic departments to build relationships with institutions we identify that graduate high percentages of up-and-coming faculty... think along the lines of MSIs. This role will specifically be building relationships and supporting recruitment efforts to hire faculty that are underrepresented at our college - that is BIPOC faculty.

Other ways to support recruitment and consideration of salary bumps can be to tied to very specific lived and learned experiences. Ex: people with lived/learned experience working in urban school districts/areas; people with lived/learned experience at Hispanic Serving Institutions or HBCUs... things like that. These are efforts that strategically position us to recruit and support BIPOC faculty, by tying the rationale to lived/learned experiences rather than their race.

In terms of the 27% their HR office quoted they can ask for it to be further disaggregated if the n is such that it won't explicitly identify individuals. Their gut is probably right that it is not representative of racial equity.

Hope this helps and happy to chat with you if you have further questions.

CG