[BLC] GenEd requirements for students who have earned a Bachelor's degree from a foreign country

Mahoney Ed.D., Chris Chris.Mahoney at cptc.edu
Wed Aug 9 14:12:23 PDT 2023

Good afternoon,

I have received an interesting question from our Enrollment Services regarding students who have earned a Bachelor's degree from a foreign country (see below). I don't remember us having this conversation at BLC, but wanted to double check. If we haven't, maybe it is something we should look at? What is your college's policy?

Thanks!

Chris

An interesting question was brought up on the evaluator listserv regarding students who have previously earned a bachelors degree from a foreign country. Our students will send their transcript to a NACES (www.naces.org<http://www.naces.org/>) approved agency for translation. The agency will then make a recommendation based on semester credits earned, classes taken, and equivalent accreditation status. If we received a recommendation from an agency that states that the students training is equivalent to a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., would we then 'waive' the general education requirements (including ENGL& 101)? Has a similar conversation come up at BLC?

Here is an example World Education Services evaluation terms. WES is an approved agency through NACES.

[cid:image001.png at 01D9CACB.6E61DF20]

Chris Chen Mahoney, Ed.D. (She/Her/Hers)
Dean of Academic Instruction
[Wide-Column Signature with Graphic]
Building 19 Room 105E * 4500 Steilacoom Blvd. SW * Lakewood WA 98499 * T: 253-589-5959
chris.mahoney at cptc.edu<mailto:chris.mahoney at cptc.edu> * twitter.com/CloverParkTech<http://twitter.com/CloverParkTech> * facebook.com/CloverParkTech<http://facebook.com/CloverParkTech>
Excellence. Experience. Employment. Redefine education at Clover Park Technical College.